Cloning Anenome Rib Socks

Have I  mentioned lately how much I have enjoyed the Blue Moon Fiber Arts Rockin’ Sock Club??  Oh, only once or twice??  LOL – well, I am at it again.  The September yarn was called Tide Pooling, and here it is, all knit up into my new Cloning Anenome Rib socks!  And the knitty gritty details:  knit on 2.00 mm dpns in small size.  I can never get guage so always go down both a needle size and a sock size.

     I like how the slight pooling that occurred is around the heel and instep, and that it is a mirror image type thing.  I have no idea how that happens, but I am glad it does.  Along with the yarn and pattern, each package includes Dyer’s Notes that explain where the inspiration for the yarn comes from, and what the Dyer was hoping to achieve with that lot of yarn.  Somehow this little insight into the Dyer’s process really adds to the appeal – and as a friend of mine often says, packaging sells!

October has also been a busy month for finishing work – I love seeing all the different things stitcher’s come up with this time of year 🙂  The month began with a bundle of ornaments that Cheryl sent:

 

and then there was Emily’s N is for Needle needlecase.  Emily asked for an emery pocket – what a clever idea!   

and I just finished some goodies for Jodi that will remain confidential until after the holiday season 🙂

My October ornament is also finished – this is Star Saphire from Patricia Ann Designs in the 2006 JCS issue.  It ate up every last inch of WDW Bethleham that I had!

I am also back to knitting scarves during the kid’s activities in the evenings.  Every year my daughter’s school has a Mitten and Scarf tree – and here are September’s:

  It is a pleasure knitting scarves as the weather turns – we have had a warm fall, but there is a nip in the air most mornings, and the winds have come up. 

I have been in a real stitching slump lately as my fingers have been flying with knitting instead.  I have been thinking that what is called for is a new project….. so today I will be cutting fabric and getting started on the Prairie Schooler’s Autumn Winds.  I am going to be stitching it as a needlecase, rather than a sampler, and have to spend a few minutes planning the layout.  Now that I have mentioned it in public, there will be a wee bit of pressure to actually get started!!

Advertisements

A long overdue update

September has been a busy month!  I have been working in the yard, and everyone has been adjusting to a new routine with the return to school.

Early in the month I made myself a swift – when you buy yarn in hanks, the need for a swift becomes inevitable.   I used the fabulous directions provided by Webecca in her blog:  http://webeccasays.blogspot.com/2008_04_01_archive.html   Rather than use glue, I drilled the metre sticks and used a bolt and washer type assembly.  I then put the whole thing atop an Ikea Lazy Susan that was sitting unused in a cupboard, and voila!

       One ball of Creatively Dyed Ocean sock yarn ready to be knit up. Since winding balls by hand gives me nasty cramps in my fingers, I took the plunge and ordered this lovely ball winder from Woodhouse Tools in Armstrong, BC :  http://www.woolhousetools.com/  Click on the link Making and Preparing Yarns and then scroll down a bit.  I then wound a 1260 yard hank of laceweight and learned firsthand the importance of keeping the yarn taut on those pins!  Speaking of the laceweight – it is becoming the Print O’ The Wave shawl –http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2005/12/print_o_the_wave_stole.html  

Take a peek:   The yarn is Aquamarine from Heritage Needleworks, and is absolutely fantastic to work with.  The subtle play of colours is simply gorgeous!

I have been working on socks – of course – and have finished a bundle of little things:

  These are sample socks from Cat Bordhi’s New Pathways for Sock Knitters.  The green ones are Little Sky socks, while the red are Little Coriolis.  And these socks were all knit from the leftover yarn from my daughter’s socks

I also finished a sweater – the first one I have knit for myself in about 20 years!  This is the Chic Lace Cardi from Lanaknits Designs:    and here is the lace detail  .  The yarn is an old cotton from my stash – Fidji by Jakobsdalsgarn, and I knit with a 40 inch 4 mm circular.

Finally, just to prove I can still stitch, here is my September Ornament – Christmas Ewe by Elizabeth’s Designs, in the 2001 Just Cross Stitch Ornament issue.  It was stitched on 28 ct muffin glenshee using WDW and GAST. 

That wraps up September’s endeavours!